A red light is never a good thing in technology, but why is your PS4 light red? My controller light got red so I got worried and I had to research the internet trying to answer this question.
Your PS4 Controller is red because your USB port or charger is faulty. If after it is fixed, it still turns on with red light it is a controller hardware problem. The ribbon inside your Controller may need replacement.
Some of us are skeptical about opening up our controllers. Understandably, we’re not trying to damage anything, I know because I damaged my controller trying to fix it!
Watch the below video on how to fix your controller, I will explain the process on how to fix it a PS4 controller that is flashing red or pink, and what the different colors mean. Read on to find out!
Want the best PS4 accessories? Treat yourself or a friend to the best PS4 products on Amazon by clicking here or the button below
How To Fix A PS4 Controller That Keeps Flashing
There are various ways to fix a PS4 controller that keeps flashing, and you do need to buy a replacement USB to check if it’s the USB problem.
Buy an officially licensed Power A cable specifically for the PS4 controller from Amazon here.
Replace Your Dualshock 4 Cable
- Buy a replacement cable for your Dualshock 4 is or a working android charging cable from your house
- Plug the USB into your Dualshock 4
- If the light changes to blue or orange then your controller is charging and it was the cables problem.
USB cables can be delicate so replacing a USB cable is an easy way to troubleshoot your controller not charging.
Reset Your PS4
- Turn off your PS4 by holding down the power button for 10 seconds or via the quick start menu
- Take the power cord from the back of the PS4
- Wait around 3-5 minutes and plug the power cord back in and turn on the PS4
- Plug your controller and USB charging cable into the controller and PS4
- Use the PlayStation button on the Dualshock 4 to turn it on
Your parents or grandparents wise words of turning off to give the TV some ‘rest’ is actually good advice to follow!
The old “turn it off and back on again” trick works more times than you think! Sometimes, all that’s needed is a simple restart on the PlayStation 4, someimes your controller will not work due to a hardware problem.
Reset Your PS4 Controller
- Turn your controller over to see the reset button next to the top right screw of the controller
- Use an unfolded paperclip or a sim card opener to push the button inside of the hole
- Hold the button for 5 seconds
- Reconnect your Dualshock 4 back into the PS4 and see if it charges
Just like your PS4 your controller has it’s own software that can get corrupted, doing the above method will set your controller back to factory defaults and hopefully fix your problem.
Start Your PS4 In Safe Mode
- Turn off your PS4
- Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds until you hear two beeps
- Connect your Dualshock 4 with a USB cable
- Press the PS button on your controller.
Note if your PS4 USB ports as faulty you cannot start your PS4 in safe mode, but going into safe mode has been shown to bypass a lot of controller and PS4 soft ware issues.
If none of these steps then you may have a broken controller, if your that guy or girl who knows your controller across the room when you lose then that’s probably the reason.
Can I Change the Color of The PS4 Controller?
To change the color of a PS4 controller you must change the user, as the differ PS4 profiles correspond to different colours Player 1 is blue, player 2 is red, player 3 is green and player 4 is yellow. Change the colour by signing it to another user without logging out.
How to Change The PS4 Controllers Color
- Create four different profiles on your PS4
- Log in to one user and switch to another user without logging out
- Keep on logging on to different users and switching until you find the color you like.
What do colors mean on ps4 controller?
- Player 1(Blue)
- Player 2(Red)
- Player 3 (Green)
- Player 4(Pink)
In playing specific games like Grand Theft Auto IV RockStar actually makes the Dualshock 4 blink red and blue whenever being chased by police! Cool right!
Hopefully with the Dualshock 5 developers take inspiration from RockStars use of the light bar and create interesting design choices.
Transform your PS4 experience learn about the best PS4 accessories down below on Amazon.