Do you have an Xbox series S but wish your internet & download speed and ping was faster? I’m here to help with that. I know how annoying slow download speeds are, but rest assured do the following steps, and your speeds will increase!
- Use a wired ethernet internet connection instead of Wi-fi for faster Xbox downloads speeds and a more stable connection
- Change Your Xbox DNS settings for faster internet connection
- Move your Xbox closer to your Wi-Fi router to get a faster download speed
- Download games in instant-on mode for faster download speeds
- Pay for faster internet service or switch to fibreoptic for a sharp increase in Xbox download speeds
- Move your Wifi router and Xbox away from brick walls and other Wi-fi devices to increase the Wi-Fi signal
- Only download one game at a time for more efficient downloads.
To make sure you get the fastest internet for your Xbox possible, and how to change your Xbox DNS settings to make downloads faster and much much more read on.
Want the best Xbox One accessories? Treat yourself or a friend to the best Xbox One products on Amazon by clicking here or the button below
How To Get Fast Internet For Your Xbox
Wired Ethernet For Faster Connection
Wired internet will get you the most reliable connection for online gaming. Although Wi-fi connection has come along way in recent years, the waves Wi-fi uses are reduced by many factors.
- Obstructions in your home such as walls(especially brick), doors, and floors
- Distance between your router and your Xbox
- Inferences from other devices using the same wi-fi connection, such as your smartphone or another console
These factors will reduce the “packets” (data transfer) or cause the packets to be delayed which is called latency, which will reduce both your download speed and internet speed.
Whereas with an ethernet cable(buy a super-fast one from Amazon here) the internet travels via a physical cable meaning everything mentioned above will not affect your internet connection, giving you far smoother gaming experience. Check out this post here for more information.
If you want a handy tutorial on how to set up internet for your Xbox both wired and via wi-fi check out this tutorial down below
How To Change Your Xbox DNS Settings For Faster Internet
Now changing your Xbox’s DNS settings could have a MASSIVE impact on your download speeds, no matter if you’re using a wired or wireless internet connection or whatever Xbox you currently own.
Before you change the DNS settings make sure you do the following steps
- Disconnect your Xbox from a Wi-fi booster as wi-fi directly from the router has the best connection
- Remove wi-fi power setups
- Move your console into more open airspace away from other electronic devices that are using the Wi-fi
- Move the Xbox away from brick walls
- Try to position the Xbox in the same room as the router or the room directly below it
- Try to limit the number of electronic devices using the same Wi-fi as your Xbox
Best DNS Settings For Xbox
- Press the home button on your controller and go to [settings]> [general]>[network settings] >[advanced settings]>[DNS settings]> [manual]
- On primary IPv4 DNS put it this code 184.108.40.206
- On secondary IPV4 DNS put it this code 220.127.116.11
The previous DNS code are the official Google public DNS settings if it doesn’t improve your internet connection please watch Qieris above video and he shoes you other settings you can choose, but Google should work just fine.
If your in Europe you can try the following DNS settings
- Primary DNS: 18.104.22.168
- Secondary DNS: 22.214.171.124
How To Change Your DNS Settings Advanced Method
This method is more time consuming than the first but If you want the VERY best DNS settings possible, this is what you need to do. If you get confused follow the above videos guidelines, yes it is about PS4 but the process is exactly the same for Xbox
All you need is a computer that is running on the same connection as your Xbox preferably with a wired connection that is running Internet Explorer/Google Chrome
This method will give you the best DNS settings for every device from an Xbox or a computer
- Turn on your PC and navigate to this website which is Googles DNS Benchmark tool
- Download and extract the “namebench” program which matches your operating system for Mac it will be the one at the top(namebench-1.3.1-Mac_OS_X.dmg), for Windows the one directly below it “namebench-1.3.1-Windows.exe“
- Remember for best results have your laptop/computer directly connected to the router via an ethernet cable as this helps eliminate any external factors that could interfere with your DNS settings to get the best results possible.
- Make sure you tick the two options near the nameserver and have the health check performance as “fast” I recommend having the number of queries as 250 which will take longer but give you much stabler results
- Now this will take between 20-30 minutes so start playing your Xbox or do whatever in the meantime
- An internet explorer tab will open up giving you various forms of data avg (ms) of Ping, the difference between mini & max-min, and much more
- Ideally, you want to find the most stable ping that has the smallest difference between max and min, choose that one for your primary DNS & the second-best for your secondary
- Navigate back to DNS settings and input the primary and secondary DNS settings you found in the explorer tab
- Restart your Xbox to make sure all the DNS settings are calibrated
- Test your network connection and compare your new results to your older results
- Repeat this 1-3 months to ensure you get your very best DNS settings as it will evolve and change over time
- Enjoy your super quick improved Xbox’s internet connection!
Now this will work for all versions of the Xbox and every console ever made that has internet connection.
How do I increase my Xbox connection speed?
Now there are various ways to improve your Xbox connection speed, the biggest change follow what’s mentioned in this article but here are other ways to improve your connection
- Use a wired internet connection instead of wi-fi
- Download updates/games using rest mode to increase download speeds
- Update your Xbox to the latest firmware
- Change your DNS settings
- Change your router settings to 5Ghz or 2.4GHz depending on where your router is compared to your Xbox
- Upgrade your internet service
Why is my Xbox internet so slow?
Your Xbox internet speed is based on many factors, such as brick walls in between your router & your Xbox causing the Wi-fi connection to be weak.
Also having multiple devices using the same internet will dramatically reduce your Xbox internet speed
What is a good connection speed for Xbox
Ping is the most important statistic the less ping you have the better for internet speeds, 50ms ping is very good, less than 100 is good to average and 150 is when problems with games will start arising and more than 150 you could experience lag and have issues with games.
For internet connection 10Mbps download, speed is good enough as even if another person in your home is using Netflix or streaming your gaming shouldn’t be affected.
Even in countries such as Bangladesh with terrible Wi-fi low Mbps speeds are still perfectly serviceable, Ping is the most important factor and 2MBps is more than enough for online gaming