The PlayStation 4 is a fantastic blue-ray DVD player, but can it play all regions of DVD/Blue-Ray? I decided to find out for myself.
So is the PlayStation 4 a multi-region DVD player? Whilst PS4 games are region free, the PS4 itself is region locked with DVD & Blue-ray disc although there’s a way to get around this.
DVDs & Blue Rays are locked into 8 different region-specific codes of different territories such as North America & Europe.
Although do not worry, in this post I will guide you through how to make your PS4 be able to play all DVD/Blue-ray discs no matter what region and make your console a true multi-regional machine.
Want the best PS4 accessories? Treat yourself or a friend to the best PS4 products on Amazon by clicking here or the button below
PS4 How To Play DVDs From Other Regions
Now I will discuss this later in detail but with DVDs, there are 8 different regional codes, your PS4 should be set to a specific region but this doesn’t mean you cannot change your PS4’s region!
Your PS4 allows you your region up to 4 times after that your PS4 DVD region will be locked forever. It is very easy to do and can be set up in minutes!
|1||The United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Bermuda|
|2||Europe (except Belarus, Ukraine, and Russia), Greenland, Turkey the Middle|
East, Egypt, Eswatini, Lesotho, South Africa, Japan, and French Guiana
|3||Southeast Asia, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau|
|4||Latin America (except French Guiana and|
Puerto Rico), Australia, the Caribbean, and Oceania
|5||Africa (except Egypt, Lesotho, Eswatini, and South Africa), Russia, Belarus,|
Ukraine, Central Asia, South Asia, Mongolia, and North Korea
|7||MPAA-related DVDs and “media copies” of pre-releases in Asia|
|8||International venues such as aircraft, cruise ships and spacecraft.|
|ALL||These region discs have all 1-8 flags set, allowing|
the disc to be played in any location, on any player.
- Insert a DVD disc into your PlayStation 4
- You should see “to play this DVD, change the DVD region code of the PS4” then click “next
- You will see a screen of the World and the countries will light up depending on what region you have selected, select the region of your DVD you want to watch(look at the back of the DVD cover)
- That’s it! You should be able to watch the DVD remember you can only change your regional code system settings 4 times
It’s unfortunate that your PS4 isn’t a region free machine, but Sony has to listen to international laws about DVDs which relate to TV shows and movies. Check out a tutorial on the steps above in case you get confused.
Can The PlayStation 4 Play Blue-Ray Disc From Other Regions?
Blue-ray Discs actually use a far simpler region-code system than DVDs with three legions labeled,A,B and C, a lot of blue-ray risks are encoded region free(region 0) making them playable on your PS4.
|A/1||The Americas and their dependencies, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, Japan, Korea, and Southeast Asia|
|B/2||Africa, Middle East, Western Asia, most of Europe, Oceania, and their dependencies|
|C/3||Central Asia, Mainland China, Mongolia, South Asia, Belarus, Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Moldova, and their dependencies|
|ABC/FREE||Informal term meaning “worldwide”. Region free is not an official setting; discs that bear the region FREE symbol either have no flags set or have all three flags set.|
Unlike with DVD regions, Blue-Ray regions are verified by the player software,although there are hacks to change the software to play region free blue-ray discs the majority of Blue-Ray discs are region free making them playable on your PS4.
If you want a device that can play all blue-ray/DVD discs no matter what region, a Sony BDP-S3700 Region Free Blu-ray Player (get it for a steal on Amazon)is your best option. remember you have a 4 region change limit on your PS4 before it cannot be unlocked
Check out an unboxing and review of the Sony region free Blue-Ray player down below
How do you know what region your ps4 is?
Now PlayStation 4 games are not region locked, but downloadable content(DLC) and things like in-game currencies are locked into their Playstation store region.
If the region of the PS4 store which sold the DLC does not match the correct region of the game disc/where you downloaded it the DLC content will not work. Sony recommends you only buy games from verified retailers in your home country.
How do you check the region of your PS Store?
The region of your account and your PlayStation Store are the same, this includes DVD/Blue-ray regions. If you forget what your PS4 region is you can check via account management.
If you can’t remember the region of your account (selected during set up) you can check through account management.
- Sign in to PlayStation Store by selecting [Sign In] from the top right of the screen.
- Select your [Online ID] to reveal the [Storefront Country] dropdown.
- Your registered PlayStation Store country will show in the [Country/Region] field.
Can The PS4 Pro Stream 4K Blue-Ray?
The PS4 Pro is a powerful gaming console capable of checkerboard 4K but the PS4 Pro does not support 4K UHD Blue-ray only regular HD and 3D Blue-Ray as well as normal DVDs.
This is a big shame but I believe it’s because financially as a company Sony isn’t doing too well recently. (see more info here) and sells region free DVD/BlueRay players such as the Sony BDP-S3700 Region Free Blu-ray Player (get it from Amazon) mentioned above.
If the PS4 Pro was 4K blue-ray player as well what incentive would you have buying Sonys other products?
However, unlike the PlayStation 4/PlayStation 4 Pro the Xbox One & Xbox One X are fully capable of streaming 4K UHD Blue-Ray & DVDs, check my post here)
How To Unlock Different Regions On The PS4
So you want to unlock other PS4 regions, but why go through the trouble?
- Your PS4 will have access to many applications that are region blocked (HBO,BBC,iPlayer 7plus etc) and certain games are only available in specific regions
- Allows you to redeem gift cards that you receive, as they are region locked you cannot redeem them in al regions
- You can save money as certain applications and games are less expensive in different regions
- Allows you access to new games which are released earlier in certain regions, especially if you really want to play the game early!
It is not as easy as simply switching DVD regions like above, you need to create a new Sony account which isn’t that difficult
- Go to PlayStation official website to create a new account
- Use an email address that isn’t linked to other PSN accounts such as Hotmail or Gmail and create a password
- With your PlayStation account create the region you want and fill in the information, use Google Translate to translate the pages if needed
- Create an account set up a new user and fill in the information, verify the account
- Go straight to the PSN store and you should see the PS store and therefore your region has changed
How Can You Unblock Regions on Your PS4?
Unfortunately, it’s not as easy as just switching to a different region since you can’t do that.
Instead, you need to create a new account. Luckily, that won’t take too long – here’s what you need to do:
- Head to Sony’s website to create a new account.
- Use an email address that’s not linked to other PSN accounts. Use a service like Mail.com, Yandex, or ProtonMail to easily create one.
- Come up with a password.
- Now, choose the region you want, and fill out all the other info. If the language changes, use Google Translate.
- Agree to what you want, and create the account.
- Verify the account, set up the new user, and add the ZIP code or postcode if needed.
- Skip past the social media stuff, and go to the PSN store. The currency should change, and you should see the content you want.
If you get confused please follow the video below for a detailed tutorial on how to change your PlayStation 4’s region
Now you will still need access to a VPN(Virtual Private Network) to access region-locked applications such as Netflix/BBC. The VPN will hide your IP address so Sony cannot tell where your real location is.
Express VPN is the number one leader in VPNs, they don’t just hide your IP they protect your identify and allow you to access different countries Netflix and keep you protecting whenever using public Wi-Fi as hackers can easily steal your information!
To get yourself protected check out Express VPN here.
Please view this post on how to setup VPN for your PlayStation 4 or watch the YouTube video below
Transform your PS4 experience learn about the best PS4 accessories down below on Amazon.