Sometimes while playing on your PS4 console, your controller may act up, making your screen spin in circles. But don’t worry, it does not necessarily mean that you will have to change your controller. Here’s how you can try to fix this issue before you decide to buy a new one.
- Clean the controller with a can of compressed air
- Reconnect the controller to your PS4
- Recharge the controller fully
- Disassemble the controller, and diagnose the problem
I will explain everything in detail, plus find out how to fix a drifting PS4 controller, how to calibrate, and how to fix a PS4 joystick please read on!
Want the best PS4 accessories? Treat yourself or a friend to the best PS4 products on Amazon by clicking here or the button below
How To Fix A PS4 Controller Spinning In Circles
- If dust is causing your controller to make your screen spin, you will have to clean it with compressed air. Push the analog stick to a side and spray a can of compressed air into it the cap from 3 inches away. Do the same with all the other buttons thoroughly. Once you are done, wipe your controller clean with a slightly damp (not too wet) non-alcoholic wipe and dry it with a microfibre cloth.
- If dust is not causing the issue, you can try reconnecting your controller to your PS4. By using the other controller, go to your PS4 settings > devices > bluetooth devices > select the problematic controller > select options button on controller > forget device. Once you have done that, reconnect the controller to your console with a charging cord and it will start working properly.
- Another reason why your controlling is causing the issue might be because its battery is running low. Recharge your controller fully and then see if it works.
- You can also try disassembling and getting to the root cause (keep reading below to find out how you can disassemble your PS4 controller).
However, if none of the remedies work out, you might need to replace your controller. Get yourself an all-new controller from Amazon at the best price.
Curious if the PS5 is overpriced? I can assure you it isn’t, check out my post on the topic here.
How Do I Fix My PS4 Drifting Controller?
A drifting PS4 controller can be fixed by cleaning it out thoroughly. If that does not work, you will have to disassemble the controller and diagnose the problem so it can be fixed
- Unplug/disconnect your PS4 controller from the console and shut it down by pressing and holding the PS button for 20 seconds.
- Move both of your analog sticks to their sides and blow compressed air into their base. Remember to keep the 3-inch distance between the blower and the controller.
- Now that any dirt or grime has been dusted out by the compressed air, press the L3 and R3 buttons and move the analog sticks in all directions to get any remaining debris out.
Months of gaming on your PS4 might take its toll on your controller because after all, it wasn’t designed to last a lifetime, was it? No matter how much of a clean freak you are, the dust always finds its way into the nooks and corners of your controller, resulting in your controller drifting.
Many users encounter a drifting controller (when one or both of your analog sticks start moving stuff on screen in weird motions).
For example, you are aiming at a perfect shot in a first-person shooter game when suddenly your character just veers off to the side,this happens when your controller is drifting.
Thoroughly cleaning it (as mentioned above) might do the trick sometimes, but if it does not do it, you might have to disassemble your controller.
Will PS5 make PS4 obsolete? It’s a serious question, check my blog here to know more about it.
How Do I Calibrate My PS4 Controller?
- Using a second PS4 controller go to PS4 settings>devices>bluetooth devices> select problem controller> hit options button on controller >forget device
- Turn off the PS4
- Reconnect the controller to the PS4 with a USB cord
- Turn on the PS4 controller and log in by pressing the PS button the controller
Your PS4 controller will now have paired with the console. You have successfully calibrated your PS4 controller.
Split screen gaming is super fun right? But do you need 2 PSN accounts to play split screen? Find out in my post here.
How to Hard Reset a PS4 Controller
You can also hard reset your PS4 controller by following these steps:
- Turn over your DualShock 3 controller and find the small reset button around the L2 shoulder button.
- Find a small pin or a tool to push the reset button inside the hole.
- Press and hold the button for 5 seconds.
- Connect your controller to the console via a USB cord and press the PS button.
Congratulations! Your PS4 controller has been reset. Calibrating your PS4 controller is one of the troubleshooting ways if it has been acting up lately. Sometimes, just a hard reset can bring it back to normal.
How Do I Fix My PS4 Joystick?
If your PS4 joystick has been acting up, you can try the following ways to fix it:
- Calibrate or hard reset your controller.
- Thoroughly dust the joysticks using compressed air and wipe them off with a non-alcoholic damp wipe.
- Disassemble your controller and clean the insides of both analog joysticks.
If any of the remedies do not work, then you, my friend, will have to toss that controller into a trash bin and get your hands on a new one.
Transform your PS4 experience learn about the best PS4 accessories down below on Amazon.
|Top Top||PS4 Stand Cooling Fan Station for Playstation 4/PS4 Slim/PS4 Pro||Prime||See the latest pricing|
|Top Top||Cleaning Repair Tool Kit for PS4,||Prime||See the latest pricing|
|Top Top||DualShock 4 Wireless Controller for PlayStation 4 - Magma Red||Prime||See the latest pricing|
|Top Top||Sony Camera V2 for PlayStation 4||Prime||See the latest pricing|
|Top Top||Seagate Portable 2TB External Hard Drive Portable HDD – USB 3.0||Prime||See the latest pricing|
|Top Top||PowerA DualShock Charging Station for PlayStation 4||Prime||See the latest pricing|
|Top Top||Sony PlayStation VR||Prime||See the latest pricing|