Are you wondering why your PS4 controller has a green light? The DualShock 4 can turn a variety of different colours, if your confused don’t worry I will explain what they mean including the green light.
The light bar of the controller is used to identify which player is in the game, green is player 3, in some games your controller will change color depending on what your doing, in The Last Of Us a green line represents the player’s health bar.
I will explain what each color of the DualShock 4 means, how to change the color of the DualShock 4 and how to fix a controller that keeps flashing, keep reading to find out.
Are you sick of feeling unmotivated at work? How about making an online living creating content that your passionate about, sounds good right?
This is the life I’m living right now, all thanks to Project 24.
Want the best PS4 accessories? Treat yourself or a friend to the best PS4 products on Amazon by clicking here or the button below
What Do The Colors On Your PS4 Controller Mean?
The light bar on the controller is used to identify which player is in the game. Red means your controller charging port is faulty, orange is your PS4 is in rest mode, yellow is the controller is charging, white is low battery or cannot connect to PS4.
- Player 1(Blue)
- Player 2(Red)
- Player 3 (Green)
- Player 4(Pink)
How To Change The Light Bar Color Of Your PS4 Controller
- Hold down the PlayStation button on your controller and go down to [power] and select [switch user]
- You will need 4 different users to choose from, if you don’t have 4 click on [Create a user] to create one, it doesn’t have to be connected to PSN
- To get the color you want for your main account, you need to be signed into the color you like (such as green) which is the 3rd account, and then switch back to your main account
Refer to the video above if you get confused, I know it seems longwinded but it’s the ONLY way to change your PS4 controller colours.
To see if the PS5 is overpriced, check out my post here.
How To Fix A PS4 Controller That Keeps Flashing
There are various ways to fix a PS4 controller that keeps flashing, and you do need to buy a replacement USB to check if it’s the USB problem.
Buy an officially licensed Power A cable specifically for the PS4 controller from Amazon here.
Replace Your Dualshock 4 Cable
- Buy a replacement cable for your Dualshock 4 is or use a working android charging cable
- Plug the USB into your Dualshock 4
- If the light changes to blue or orange then your controller is charging and it was the problem of the cable.
USB cables can be delicate so replacing a USB cable is an easy way to troubleshoot your controller not charging.
Reset Your PS4
- Turn off your PS4 by holding down the power button for 10 seconds or via the quick start menu
- Take the power cord from the back of the PS4
- Wait around 3-5 minutes and plug the power cord back in and turn on the PS4
- Plug your controller and USB charging cable into the controller and PS4
- Use the PlayStation button on the Dualshock 4 to turn it on
Your parents or grandparents wise words of turning off to give the TV some ‘rest’ is actually good advice to follow!
The old “turn it off and back on again” trick works more times than you think! Sometimes, all that’s needed is a simple restart on the PlayStation 4, someimes your controller will not work due to a hardware problem.
Reset Your PS4 Controller
- Turn your controller over to see the reset button next to the top right screw of the controller
- Use an unfolded paperclip or a sim card opener to push the button inside of the hole
- Hold the button for 5 seconds
- Reconnect your Dualshock 4 back into the PS4 and see if it charges
Just like your PS4 your controller has it’s own software that can get corrupted, doing the above method will set your controller back to factory defaults and hopefully fix your problem.
Start Your PS4 In Safe Mode
- Turn off your PS4
- Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds until you hear two beeps
- Connect your Dualshock 4 with a USB cable
- Press the PS button on your controller.
Note if your PS4 USB ports as faulty you cannot start your PS4 in safe mode, but going into safe mode has been shown to bypass a lot of controller and PS4 soft ware issues.
If none of these steps then you may have a broken controller, if your that guy or girl who knows your controller across the room when you lose then that’s probably the reason.
What Color Does The PS4 controller Turn When It’s Charged?
Whilst charging the PS4 controller slowly blinks amber and slowly fades between white and amber when charging, when the controller is fully charged the light bar will turn off.
Transform your PS4 experience learn about the best PS4 accessories down below on Amazon.